Thursday 21 February 2013

Jedi time tricks

As most people nowadays, I have tons of stuff to do. And multiple simultaneous projects. So, when my eye catches something related to time management, it gets my hopes up. And if it's linked to Star Wars, it's like a miracle, a wish come true! (*releases inner geek*)


Guess what I did when I read 'Jedi time-tricks'? That's right, I read on and this post on quora.com really cracked me up. At first. When I started to think about the comparison, it's absolutely right, true and helpful! There is also a list with (basic) rules for more time, which I will dicuss and try to implement:

"Look at what you spend your day doing. Most of it, I’ll warrant, is not anything you chose – it’s what is being asked of you."

This is absolutely true for me. Next to classes, rehearsals and going home for the weekend, my week get's stuffed very quickly. Usually with nice things, such as meeting friends, having lunch or a coffee with someone, a special lecture or event, concerts or parties. Or, in busier periods, with assignments, team work, meetings. 

So, what to do to keep some time for yourself or your ultimate goal? 


  • Say no. This will be my main point to implement. I'm getting very good at planning things, scheduling study time here, thesis time there, time for blogging, boyfriend, friends, you name it. But at the end of the week, I realise it didn't go as planned. At all. Because I took extra 'work' (which can be as simple as helping roommate doing the dishes or as time-consuming as 'ok, I'll do this giant part of the assignment, no problem') or agreed to go somewhere or do something I didn't feel like, but couldn't say no, afraid of being rude. So from now on, I'll try not answering immediately and thinking whether I truly want this and have time for it. I hope to get more things done and have more time for things I like or deem important. As this does not come easy for a lot of people, check this article: 
Nine practices to help you say no without feeling like a jerk
  • Unplug the TV. I haven’t got a TV on campus, and even at home I don't watch much. So, not an issue for me, but can save you a lot of time!
  •  
    Source: nytimes.com
  • Kill notifications. Put away my phone, close that Facebooktab, stop checking gmail every five minutes... As I noticed, these notifications get you more and more involved, drags you into chatlike conversations on Facebook. Can be fun sometimes, but will always be very time-consuming and attention-robbing... Just check mail, Facebook or whatever your addiction is at set times: still up to date yet not losing too much time on it.
  • Schedule your priorities. Having a date with my thesis doesn't sound as much fun as date with boyfriend, but it's basically the same: if you don't schedule it in sometimes, it just doesn't happen. Or you get together and then notice that you missed the start of the movie, that shop is closed or the restaurant if fully booked. So, plan when you want to do something towards your goal, taking into account things like opening hours for things, hours when you can reach the people you need, when you work best,...
  • First things first. Here come the Stormtroopers (well, that's an image I won't get out of my head)! All those URGENT URGENT URGENT things! No more excuses, focus on important things! While the urgent little distractions do need to be done, I'll get them done and over with, but keep some time everyday for 'the greater good'. 
  •  
    Source: baneofyourresistance.wordpress.org
  • Less volume, more time. Today, I've been reading articles for thesis, making a grocery list, cleaning my room, listening to weblecture, writing this post, doing some practical stuff for team work and looking for work. Sounds very productive, no? Here is what I really did: 'Oh interesting article, I'll save that for later and now go search job sites. Ooh, nice job, let's send in my resume. Damn, need motivational letter and extra questions. That takes a lot of time and concentration, so I'd better first do those little practical things for team work, or it won't be done by Friday. Oh, all this laundry, should put it away first, can't work in a chaotic room...' And so on. Pretty sure this sounds familiar. All Stromtroopers, so off with them! I'll select a max of three tasks for every day. Multi-tasking is so 2012. 
  • Ignore. Sorry that I don't return your message within 10 minutes, sorry if I sort all payments once a week and not more often, sorry if I have to leave a party early or arrive late or not come at all, I have to get things done.... Hardest part for me I think! 




Go, and may the force be with you, young time-management-padawan!


No comments:

Post a Comment